Wednesday, December 10, 2014

This is a must read please. Oh my goodness I did it.

As I stated before, I wanted to find a way to help the school here in Belize. I wanted To find a way to make a difference in someone's life. Well on my last day the chance fell in my lap. So, I want to let you all know a little about what I am doing. I have stated before what it takes for a student to go to school here, and I do not know how some parents do it. Now I ask how is this kid supposed to do this. Samuel Mendez turned 18 three days ago. The principal asked me to sponsor this student. Let me tell you a little about him. He lost his parents a long time ago. The father is gone and his mother left him and his siblings for another man. He never sees her. She has a whole new family and life. He was raised by grandparents for a while and eventually was too much to handle and was put out. He has a lot of issues and is sad most of the time. He was hanging around the wrong friends. (Sound familiar to anyone). This kid did not have a place to go. He bounces  around from place to place.  He is basically homeless.  He wants to finish school.  He wants to make something of his life. He works on the weekends to pay for school and to eat. Since he is 18 there is not much that can be done for him. He is under a lot of stress trying to figure out how he is going to make it. He just  wants to  finish high school.  I went to school today to meet with him and to exchange information and to meet with other  teachers, principal,  and warden to help make sure Samuel stays in school.  I then met with Sam one on one. I told him a little about me and my life. I told him this was his chance. This was his turning point. That if he worked hard I will be there every step of the way. He cried and kept saying thank you.  He also smiled a lot. And that is something I had not seen him do much of. I am very excited about this opportunity. I let him know that he would still make mistakes and mess up but that if he was up front with me we could work it out. I want to help him. And I will.  Changing the world one kid at a time. Let me know if you want to help. There are several ways that this can be done. It didn't take much but he is in my heart always.


2 comments:

  1. Well there is the reason you were sent there!! How awesome and I want to talk more about this sponsoring a student!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly the reason you are there!!! This family...you know will do what we can!!! Let us know!!! He obviously has a little of your determination!!! Look what that has done for you!!! We will be there for him!!!

    ReplyDelete